[p4] Problem with p4.el

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Mon Jul 10 06:28:27 PDT 2006

Current config is emacs

GNU Emacs 21.4.1 (i386-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars) of
2005-03-17 on trouble, modified by Debian

Version of p4.el is 10.6

Here's the problem. I have emacs up and running and I have p4.el loaded. I
also happen to have emacs-server running but I doubt that makes any
difference. I edit any old file and when I'm done I have three new buffers
that get created called "P4 Output" all of zero length.

      *P4 Output*<15>     0  Fundamental
      *P4 Output*<16>     0  Fundamental
      *P4 Output*<17>     0  Fundamental

I traced it back to p4.el where a buffer of this name is referenced.

Because I'm running emacsclient I just noticed that I had almost 15000 P4
Output buffers. (Yes. three zeroes.)

One suggestion I have is that the call to generate-new-buffer which
creates the buffer in the first place only be called when a P4 command is
actually being executed. ;-) The other is that the generate-new-buffer
function be modified to only create a new buffer if the last buffer was of
zero length. All 15K buffers I had were of zero length.

Since this code is about two years old, please ack this message if you get
it so I know if anybody's home. Thanks.

steveo at syslang.net