[p4] [P4el-bugs] Problem with p4.el

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Mon Jul 10 11:47:08 PDT 2006

On Monday, Jul 10th 2006 at 11:50 -0400, quoth rv at dsmit.com:

=>Steven,
=>
=>Thanks for the report. Whatever you are seeing is certainly not intended (i.e.,
=>most likely a bug, but I don't know if it is in p4.el or not just yet).
=>However, I use both XEmacs (21.4 patch 19) and Gnu Emacs (21.4.1 for debian)
=>with p4.el v10.6 and I don't see this behavior. Do you see this only in XEmacs
=>or both, and what version do you have?
=>
=>Let me see where this maybe happening. As you indicated, this is a few years
=>old.
=>
=>rv

It looks like you should not start looking at this. I saw the problem and
deleted all of the P4 Output buffers. When I continued, the buffers kept
reforming. At some point I killed emacs and restarted it and the buffers
did continue to get created. I just restarted emacs with the intent of
restarting with zero initialization (i.e. -q) and the problem disappeared.
I restarted with the intent of seeing what about my (somewhat substantial)
initialization might be causing a problem. Now the problem has gone away
with my full iintialization and I don't know why. If it comes back I'll
try to dig deeper. Thanks for responding and I'l let you know more if I
can.

=>
=>Quoting "Steven W. Orr" <steveo at syslang.net>:
=>
=>> Current config is emacs
=>>
=>> GNU Emacs 21.4.1 (i386-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars) of
=>> 2005-03-17 on trouble, modified by Debian
=>>
=>> Version of p4.el is 10.6
=>>
=>> Here's the problem. I have emacs up and running and I have p4.el loaded. I
=>> also happen to have emacs-server running but I doubt that makes any
=>> difference. I edit any old file and when I'm done I have three new buffers
=>> that get created called "P4 Output" all of zero length.
=>>
=>>       *P4 Output*<15>     0  Fundamental
=>>       *P4 Output*<16>     0  Fundamental
=>>       *P4 Output*<17>     0  Fundamental
=>>
=>> I traced it back to p4.el where a buffer of this name is referenced.
=>>
=>> Because I'm running emacsclient I just noticed that I had almost 15000 P4
=>> Output buffers. (Yes. three zeroes.)
=>>
=>> One suggestion I have is that the call to generate-new-buffer which
=>> creates the buffer in the first place only be called when a P4 command is
=>> actually being executed. ;-) The other is that the generate-new-buffer
=>> function be modified to only create a new buffer if the last buffer was of
=>> zero length. All 15K buffers I had were of zero length.
=>>
=>> Since this code is about two years old, please ack this message if you get
=>> it so I know if anybody's home. Thanks.
=>>
=>> --
=>> Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like a banana. Stranger things have
=>> .0.
=>> happened but none stranger than this. Does your driver's license say Organ
=>> ..0
=>> Donor?Black holes are where God divided by zero. Listen to me! We are all-
=>> 000
=>> individuals! What if this weren't a hypothetical question?
=>> steveo at syslang.net
=>>
=>>
=>> Using Tomcat but need to do more? Need to support web services, security?
=>> Get stuff done quickly with pre-integrated technology to make your job easier
=>> Download IBM WebSphere Application Server v.1.0.1 based on Apache Geronimo
=>> http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=120709&bid=263057&dat=121642
=>> P4el-bugs mailing list
=>> P4el-bugs at lists.sourceforge.net