[p4] FW: Perforce VS latest .net source control solution

Shawn Hladky p4shawn at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 08:24:46 PDT 2006

I had a chance to see several demos and participate in a few hands-on labs
at TechEd a few weeks back.  My conclusion is that TFS is a really immature
product, and very feature poor at this point.  It doesn't even have a
stand-alone gui client... everything must be accessed from Visual Studio.
Outside the branch/merge features, I wouldn't even recommend it over VSS.
Check out the FAQ of TFS, which points out many of the lacking features:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/teamsystem/support/faqs/foundation_techfaq/

It does look like it has very similar branch/merge features as Perforce...
but I didn't dig too deep on some of the border cases that seem to have
quirks in every SCM system.

As a few people mentioned, the licensing is really squirrelly.  The server
license is $2800, but every user must have one of the Team System licenses.
Most of those are in the neighborhood of $4500/user (plus $2000/year
subscription after 1st year).  Granted that gives you a lot more than just
source control...  It's the TFS CAL (which is also issue tracking) plus MSDN
professional plus a bunch of other tools.  That's still $2000 more than just
MSDN Pro, which is what most MS shops already have.  And the new Express
editions (free) can handle quite a bit of .Net development.

On the flip side, it does seem that there are a lot of resources at MS
working to make it successful.  There are already a number of 3rd party
add-ons, including a multi-platform java GUI and CLI client.  That's a good
sign that its very extensible.  If MS keeps up the effort, it may very well
be a strong contender by version 3 or 4.