[p4] How can you have RCS keywords of similar in your plain textfiles as well as word documents?

Jeff Grills jgrills at junctionpoint.com
Wed Jul 12 15:05:56 PDT 2006

I can't think of any decent way to get RCS keyword expansion in Word
documents (and in general any binary document).  If you had some sort of
text-based format link HTML, RTF, or XML, then it might be possible to have
Perforce inject that stuff at just the right place, but I'd be a little
leery.

That said, there have been plenty of discussions on this email list about
keyword expansion, and the consensus seems to be that it's generally a bad
idea.  The meta information about the document is and should be part of the
version control system, not the document.  What you check in isn't what
people get when they sync, which arguably invalidates the "source of truth".
It can also make diffs uglier as well.  Unless you have some strongly
compelling reason to want keyword expansion, I'd recommend that you don't
use it.

  How can you have RCS keywords of similar in your plain text files as well
as word documents? It will be useful.

  Thanks.

  Barry