[p4] p4 submit w/o an editor

Weintraub, David david.weintraub at bofasecurities.com
Thu Jul 13 06:10:01 PDT 2006

Robert Buck wrote:
> Seems pretty brain dead not to have a decent command line client.
> We just wrote one, and several people commented that it ticked
> them off in prior jobs that they had to do all this pretty basic
> scripting. I wonder when the P4 guys will get a clue to write a decent
> command line client?

This discussion has come up many times before. I personally would like
to see a lot more use of command line parameters. I'd like one set of
command line parameters to allow me to create clients, users,
changelists, and submit changelists without having to use forms. I'd
like another set of command line parameters for commands such as "p4
clients" and "p4 users" that give me a bit more control over the output.

I recommend that you call Perforce support and voice your opinion about
this issue (like I did). Maybe if enough users complain, Perforce will
incorporate these features into Perforce.

While you're at it, also complain about the fact that Perforce command
line commands should return non-zero error codes when the command
doesn't work as anticipated. To me, if a p4 command writes to STDERR,
then it shouldn't return a non-zero error code. It's very frustrating
writing scripts when we can't easily test the output of the Perforce
command.

And, don't even get me started about the logic of returning STDOUT
instead of STDERR when a trigger fails!