[p4] p4 submit w/o an editor

Jeff Grills jgrills at junctionpoint.com
Thu Jul 13 11:06:11 PDT 2006

I'd like to take the opportunity to come out in support of Perforce's
approach of text-based forms.  I think it's an ingenious way to provide
dialog-box type interactions in a text-only environment; just about every
system I've ever worked with comes with a text editor )or there is at least
one available if you choose to install it).  When I'm ssh'd into a remote
machine and only have text, it's really nice - I don't think I could devise
a better solution if I tried.

If I'm going to be automating perforce actions from a "strong" programming
language such as Java, I have all the tools necessary to build up the text
block to send into p4, so I don't think that's really an issue for me.  I'm
certainly not opposed to tighter integrations with a language (like the p4
ruby and perl interfaces) - that can make it super easy to do complicated
things with perforce.  It's the case of trying to automate perforce commands
that use forms from a "weak" programming language like bash or NT batch that
makes things difficult.

I'd agree that p4 submit, in particular, would benefit from being able to be
driven completely with command line arguments.  It would certainly be
convenient at times.