[p4] newbie questions

Mike mikee at mikee.ath.cx
Thu Jul 13 15:09:19 PDT 2006

Here's my paranoia running rampent again.
I've used cvs and rcs a lot, no problems there.
The new job uses perforce. I want to create a
'sandbox' for testing checking things in, out,
adding, deleting, etc. I think this is a new client
or workspace.

I'm worried about deleting the wrong things.
I'm using cygwin and the p4.exe command works.
Eventually these commands will run in unix servers
and some windows servers under cygwin.

What I'm thinking is:

$ set | grep P4
P4CLIENT=sandbox
P4EDITOR=/usr/bin/vi
P4PORT=perforce:1666
P4USER=systems
$ export P4CLIENT P4EDITOR P4PORT P4USER
$ which p4
/usr/local/bin/p4
$ p4 client sandbox
(this creates the 'client' yes?)
(here I would do a 'cd sandbox', 'cvs import sandbox begin start',
  'cd ..', 'mv sandbox sandbox.orig', 'cvs co sandbox')
(how do I get the 'client' as a subdirectory?)

How much pain am I going to have when I'm done and
execute 'p4 client -d sandbox'?