[p4] newbie questions

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Thu Jul 13 18:39:33 PDT 2006

On Thursday, Jul 13th 2006 at 19:42 -0400, quoth Stephen Vance:

=>You're on the right track. The 'p4 client sandbox' command *defines* the
=>client, meaning where you want it (Root) and how that location maps to
=>the server (View). You don't need to create or be in the directory that
=>is your root. Perforce will do that for you. Your next step is 'p4 sync'
=>which will give you read-only copies of your source. Then you'll do 'p4
=>edit', 'p4 add', 'p4 delete', and so forth.
=>
=>I'd recommend going through the Perforce User's Guide. It gives you some
=>step-by-step scenarios to get familiar with Perforce.
=>
=>Steve

I'd also strongly recommend the O'Reilly book "Practical Perforce". It
clears up a lot (but not all) mysteries. ;-)