[p4] p4 submit w/o an editor

Weintraub, David david.weintraub at bofasecurities.com
Fri Jul 14 13:59:43 PDT 2006

> Perforce should be a kit. It could use an -m comment like CVS, but in
general
> it should not simplify things so much that scripting becomes
impossible.

The problem is I WANT to script Perforce, but Perforce seems to do
almost everything in its power to prevent me from easily writing
scripts.

* Inability to run commands without creating forms
A lot of software now use text forms for entry. Heck, even CVS brought
up a text form in your favorite editor if you didn't put in a comment
when you ran "cvs commit". I don't mind the text forms. All I ask is an
alternative way to get the information into the command via command line
parameters.

Look at the example in Chapter 8
<http://www.perforce.com/perforce/doc.061/manuals/p4guide/08_scripting.h
tml#1032869>. I've been doing Unix shell scripting for almost 20 years,
and I had to read that a couple of times before I understood what was
going on. I then read it a few more times because I found the whole
thing so unbelievable.

I shouldn't have to go through temp files or pipes to do basic commands.

* Perforce commands always returning a zero return code even when they
"fail"
======
Standard practice for Unix commands: If you output something on STDERR,
you return a non-zero return code. A non-zero return code doesn't mean
your command failed. It means that I might not be getting back the
information I requested. Almost all of my scripts are a big mess
handling this situation. The only way I found around it is to run "p4
-s", and look for lines that start with "error:".

* Incomplete Reporting commands
===============================
When I get a list of all the clients, labels, users, branches,
changelists, etc., I end up having to parse the output in order to find
the information I'm looking for. In almost all Unix reporting commands,
there is a flag for short output (either something like "-s" or "-short"
or "-brief"). That is, if I am listing users, you give me only the user
ids. If I am listing clients, you give me only client ids.

I would also like a way to verify whether if an id exists. For example,
if I have a script to create a new user ID, and I give the script an
existing ID, I want the script to be able to tell me. In ClearCase, all
the listing commands allowed me to do something like this:

   $ cleartool lstype lbtype:FOO1.0.0

If the command returned a non-zero exit code, I can assume that the
label FOO1.0.0 didn't exist. In Perforce I have two choices:

1). Run the command with the "-o" option and see if the form doesn't
contain an "Access:" field
2). Run through the entire list and see if my Id is in any of the lines.

* Format flexibility in listing command output
Here's a common example, I want to find all clients for a particular
user. The "p4 clients" command doesn't list the user's name in the
output. I could use "p4 -ztag clients", but then the Owner field is on a
separate line from the client's name. I could write an entire script to
parse the output and handle this situation, but it would be much easier
if I could format my output:

    $ p4 clients -fmt "%i:%o\n" | awk -F: '$2 = "david" {print $1}'

Look, I like Perforce. It is fast and powerful. However, I've found
scripting it to be a big pain. Just look at the difference between
Subversion triggers and Perforce triggers. Subversion triggers on
failure return STDERR while Perforce triggers return STDOUT. In
Subversion, I see why my command fails. In Perforce, I don't see the
errors. Why was STDOUT made the default? Yes, I can get around this, but
that's my point. It should work as expected, not something I have to get
around.