[p4] spec depot

Robert Cowham robert at vaccaperna.co.uk
Wed Jul 19 04:39:22 PDT 2006

The spec depot isn't modifiable by anyone, even super user.

This is a nice error message:

C:\bruno_ws\spec>p4 add fred.txt
//spec/fred.txt - can only add file in a local depot

This is not so nice error message (should be detected and rejected more
nicely), but the effect is the same:

C:\bruno_ws\spec\user>p4 edit robert.p4s
Date 2006/07/19 12:32:37:
Operation: user-edit
Operation 'user-edit' failed.
File //spec/user/robert.p4s isn't in revisions table!

Thus you don't need to remove write access for anyone.

Tested using Server version: P4D/NTX86/2006.1.BETA/98659 (2006/05/01)

That said, I tend to recommend that you remove access to files such as the
protect table itself so that people can't even find out if stuff exists if
you have removed their access! Some admins remove all access anyway, but I
think this is usually overkill.

Robert