[p4] Protection Strategies

Jeff Grills jgrills at junctionpoint.com
Wed Jul 19 09:36:26 PDT 2006

Since perforce maintains all the history, unless you've given users super
access so that they can obliterate, you can always back out changes that
people have made - in fact, there are several scripts in the public depot to
do exactly that (I even have mine there).  So you generally don't need to
worry about someone damaging your repository.

I've found that using your version control software to enforce company
policies (like formatting rules, code reviews, etc) just breeds discontent
among the developers.  I've worked in environments where access is limited
to exactly what people need, and also where everything is writable.  From
what I've seen, limiting access in perforce has similar consequences, though
not as severe, as using perforce triggers to enforce policies that impede
rapid workflow.  So, I would personally avoid it unless you have some
compelling reason.  How valuable is your source code without the people that
can understand it, maintain it, and enhance it?  Chances are, not very,
although that's not always the case.