[p4] cvs2p4 3.0 is in the wings...

rmg at perfortify.com rmg at perfortify.com
Thu Jul 20 13:04:00 PDT 2006

Hello all with interest in converting CVS repositories into Perforce,

The recent posting

  Subject: no 'p4 branches' after conversion using cvs2p4?
     From: (Y Giridhar Appaji Nag)

prompts me into announcing that a major new verison of cvs2p4 (3.0)
tool is in "final QA", and will probably be released "officially"
sometime over the next week or two.

Among the improvements, it is much more intelligent about label
creation, which has a side-benefit of increasing performance for the
overall converison process dramatically. The scanning phase
(genmetadata) has also been subject to performance improvements,
especially when dealing with large binary files.

If you are sufficiently curious, or want to fool with the new version,
it's at your service in

  p4://public.perforce.com//guest/richard_geiger/utils/cvs2p4/...

The head revisions are currently in a usuable state as far as I know.

You can look at the "NEWS" file with:

  p4 -p public.perforce.com:1666 print -q //guest/richard_geiger/utils/cvs2p4/NEWS

Thanks,

  - rmg