[p4] Perforce 2006.1 - Time to upgrade?

Karl Elvis MacRae kmac at apple.com
Fri Jul 21 13:06:42 PDT 2006

I have to advise against upgrades to 2006.1 if you use any kind of complicated client/branch mappings.

There's a new feature (they call it a feature, I call it a bug - #89167).

The undesired effect here is that you can get a combination of a 'legal' client mapping and a 'legal' branch mapping that when combined, produce this error:

    Excessive combinations of wildcard ... in path and maps.

I upgraded a test instance to 2006.1 after testing all my client mappings for illegal wildcards, and then started getting this error on integs (which I use a lot).

And per perforce support, there's no way to good way to go look for problems automatically.

If your client mappings are all simple, you may be ok. But IMO this change can cause a lot of trouble. The intent was good, but what they did was installed a 'fix' that brakes things that work in 2005*.

--Karl

On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 12:35:43PM -0700, Ryan Dooley may have typed these words:

--
Karl Elvis MacRae               DCM         Apple Computer
kmac at apple.com    408-974-0847 (office) 408-313-5741 (mobile)