[p4] Eclipse integration

Albrecht, Matt matt.albrecht at zilliant.com
Tue Jul 25 11:04:06 PDT 2006

It took me a while to get used to the plugin, too.  This uses the
Eclipse "Team" functionality to integrate with the Eclipse controlled
files, rather than the Perforce specific guis.  Those Peforce views are
just gravy, so you don't need to switch to your P4 visual client (p4v or
p4win).  I've found that if I stick to the Eclipse tools, rather than
using the Perforce views, everything seems to work well.  Such as, you
can start editing a file, and Eclipse can prompt you to check the file
out from Perforce.  You can also have pretty icons appear on the Eclipse
view of files to show if they're synced to head, or checked out, or
whatever.

You'll want to tell Eclipse about the Perforce control under either the
Project Explorer or Navigator views.  These can be opened by selecting
Window -> Show View -> Other, then selecting General -> Project Explorer
from the list.  These are built-in Eclipse views, not Perforce plugin
views.

The only issue I have is if you perform Perforce submit or edit
operations outside of Eclipse, the icons in Package Explorer don't ever
get refreshed to reflect their actual state.  I might be missing
something, though.