[p4] VS: Perforce vs Seapine Surround?

Barry Au-Yeung barry_au_yeung at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 25 11:15:01 PDT 2006

Ivey,

  I guess various tools have implemented "private branching" in different ways, tools such as AccuRev, Surround and TFS. The fundamental idea is the same, and yes, I would not say Perforce has that "dedicated" functionality. Perforce will just treat private branch has a normal branch where other tools are much better ways to deal with private branches. You just need to choose what is the best for your company's needs.

  Barry

"Ivey, William" <william_ivey at bmc.com> wrote:
> [...]

Cool chart.

I do think Perforce should have gotten a full mark for "Restore
any change any time" and maybe a partial for "Private branching"
(unless they mean the ability to keep intermediate revisions
locally; Perforce certainly doesn't prevent the creation of
private branches in the repository).

-Wm