[p4] Make a copied "branch" be a real branch

Barry Au-Yeung barry_au_yeung at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 26 14:49:42 PDT 2006

I would apply a combination of techniques... This may or may not upset other P4 users here...

  1. Create the branch_new_changes based on the branch1 with the correct time when he did the copy. So this should create the parent.

  2. Get the latest branch_new_changes to your hard disk.

  3. Somehow diff/compare the branch_new_changes and your branch2 to understand the file differences.

  4. Overlay the necessary files from branch2 to branch_new_changes. Do the P4 diff again to add the changed and added files just like what has been described in the "p4 offline process". Submit all the files and you have the branch that you want.

  Barry Au-Yeung

Dan Halbert <halbert at bbn.com> wrote:
  Hi, I could use a little advice on the following:

Instead of creating a real branch, a user copied a directory hierarchy
in his workspace and then added the files, something like:

% mkdir /path/to/branch1
% cp -r /path/to/branch1/somedir /path/to/branch2
% p4 add /path/to/branch2/...

So the branch2/somedir/... files have no history back to branch1. He
then edited a few of the files.

I tracked down the original branch (branch1), which he had forgotten,
and the time when he did this. I'd like to integrate this pseudo-branch
back into the real branch tree. I could create a new real branch and
integrate his changes by hand, but is there an easier way to do this? I
tried some "p4 integ -i ....." stuff with timestamp specifications in
p4v, but couldn't quite get it to work.

Thanks a lot,
Dan