[p4] Is Sync -f trouble?

Jeff Grills jgrills at junctionpoint.com
Wed Nov 1 07:58:41 PST 2006

As far as perforce is concerned, 19000 files isn't that much - I've worked
in places where each branch was 120,000+ files and 4+ gb of file data.

Since you're in the "middle of a release", you probably don't have a lot of
time to be rearchitecting your automated build system.  A super easy
temporary fix might be to install a p4 proxy (or two or more) and point the
build machines at the proxies.  That will at least move the burden of
transferring the files off your primary server.  You might even run a proxy
on each build box, but if you do that it would be best if you can put the
proxy files on a different physical drive from where you sync the files to
so that you're not reading and writing from the same disk and wasting a lot
of time seeking the drive heads around.  Depending upon the size of your
network and the way it is configured, it might at very least make sense to
make sure the proxies are sitting on the same switch as the build boxes to
reduce traffic over the backbone of your network.

If all your traffic is over a LAN, you might also make sure that your client
compression settings are turned off so that you're not wasting server CPU
time compressing data.

Good luck,