[p4] Is Sync -f trouble?

Jeff Grills jgrills at junctionpoint.com
Wed Nov 1 08:07:42 PST 2006

Even if you can't trust your build system to clean up after itself, that's
still no reason to remove everything and start from scratch.  Use "p4 diff"
to efficiently detect the differences and resync just those files and delete
the extra files as I explained in the email to which you replied.  It might
not be that big of an issue in a small depot when a fresh sync only takes a
few minutes, but with over 120,000 files and 4gb of data it becomes
imperative to do something smarter.

And if you still wanted to remove everything and re-sync against all the
better advice presented in the thread, I'd advise flushing to #none and
using your OS commands to remove the directory tree (rm -rf or whatever),
and then syncing to #head.  That can save some valuable time as well.