[p4] Patching files checked out from Perforce with no questionsasked

Jeff Grills jgrills at junctionpoint.com
Wed Nov 1 14:10:53 PST 2006

It looks like patch(1) understands something about version control software
now.  I don't ever remember seeing this before, so it might be a relatively
new enhancement.  Here's an excerpt from a patch(1) man page:

       -g num  or  --get=num
          This  option  controls  patch's  actions when a file is under RCS
or
          SCCS control, and does not exist or is  read-only  and  matches
the
          default  version, or when a file is under ClearCase or Perforce
control
          and does not exist.  If num is positive, patch gets (or  checks
          out)  the  file  from  the  revision  control system; if zero,
patch
          ignores RCS, ClearCase, Perforce, and SCCS  and  does  not  get
the
          file;  and if negative, patch asks the user whether to get the
file.
          The default value of this option  is  given  by  the  value  of
the
          PATCH_GET  environment  variable  if  it is set; if not, the
default
          value is zero if patch is conforming to POSIX, negative otherwise.

So, you might just need to specify "-g 0" to patch to make it stop harassing
you.