[p4] Is Sync -f trouble?

Slava Imeshev imeshev at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 1 15:09:03 PST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Venters, Cheryl" <Cheryl_Venters at intuit.com>
To: <dlewis78731 at gmail.com>
Cc: <perforce-user at perforce.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 31, 2006 9:15 PM
Subject: Re: [p4] Is Sync -f trouble?

> Our poor performance is usually characterized by slowness. Depending on
> the time of day, it can take three to five minutes to simply open P4.
> However, today we were seeing the server actually locked for about 2
> hours and there were no "unusual" commands happening that I'm aware of.

- I'd check the network for load and contention. Your server could just
saturate the bandwidth. Faster NIC may help.

- Connect the build servers to the same switch as P4 server. That should be
easy.

- Also, it makes sense to verify that both the NIC on P4 server and the switch
port are running in the same mode. I have seen speed dropping to 8 Kbytes/sec
when those were out of sync (full/half duplex). It may be not noticeable when in the
normal development mode with rare and random syncs but any additional network
load may kill such mis-configured infrastructure.

- I'd also have the network admin check switch's port for errors. I have seen cases when
a switch port was "bad" so that it was going up and down every 5 minutes.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Slava Imeshev
www.viewtier.com