[p4] Off-site Perforce performance/optimization

Dave Lewis dlewis78731 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 15:01:58 PST 2006

> In Chapter 3 of the Perforce System Administrator's Guide (available
> discuss using remote depots, which might be a better option for your
> situation.

My experience with remote depots has been pretty mixed.  I wouldn't
really recommend them unless you have very specific scenarios
for their use.  Users are apt to try and browse them, which doesn't
work well (an understatement as it makes P4WIN hang), and
anytime a depot accesses a remote depot, it locks everything.  So
everything stops until the remote responds.  This may have been
fixed in more recent releases.

dave