[p4] Protection file question

Chuck Karish chuck.karish at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 07:49:47 PST 2006

The best way to get developers to do what you want them to
do is to make sure that your way serves their needs best and
is the easiest way for them to work.

If the problem really is that they're "too lazy to change their P4Port",
change their name resolution so the default value, perforce:1666,
points to the proxy.

Don't assume that this is just recalcitrance unless you've made
sure that the proxy works better than does a direct connection.
Talk to the developers and do your own experiments.

p4p can be slower than a direct connection for transferring small
files over a high-latency link.  There's a little bit of tuning that can
be done to minimize this problem.

  Chuck

Chuck Karish   karish at well.com   (415) 317-0182