[p4] RCS keywords

Dave Lewis dlewis78731 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 20:42:24 PST 2006

On 11/9/06, Weintraub, David <david.weintraub at bofasecurities.com> wrote:

> At my current job, instead of RCS keywords to track file versions on my
> build servers, I've setup Perforce clients in the directories where my
> scripts reside. I can now use Perforce to tell me the revision, who made
> modifications, the script's history, and even if some naughty spawn had
> modified the file without putting it into Perforce.

yes, even though the keywords might be right, you don't know for
sure until you do a checksum!  Having it be a perforce client
workspace makes that check very easy!
Also, if you do have a problem on that machine, there is much
less tendency to chmod and edit the file, rather, you just check it out
and mess with it.

> If you setup an autosync of the client in these directories, you have
> yourself a automatic deployment system.

Yes, this is what we did, and it worked great!  We didn't do the autosync
though. We had a central system for dispatching builds, and one of
the "builds" was a job to sync all the script directories on all the
build machines.  It was very nice.

dave