[p4] perforce-user Digest, Vol 23, Issue 9

Krzysztof Kozminski kk at kozminski.com
Fri Nov 10 00:05:23 PST 2006

What you're describing as allowing "inconsistent build that slipped
past QA" does not deserve the designation of a "production environment".

With Perforce, creating a record of what went into the build, and
verifying that what was in the build area is indeed what was
recorded, is trivial:

	p4 files #have > manifest
	p4 diff -sd > unauthorized_deletions
	p4 diff -se > unauthorized_edits
	p4 opened > uncommited_changes

The first file will contain exact record of every version of every
file in the build area, and the latter three should be empty to
ensure the consistency. This is done *before* the build, so you don't
even start building anything that might be inconsistent. Now you
associate the manifest with the unique build ID, store it
indefinitely, and all you need in the software is an appropriate
embedding of the build ID.

The above is just a minor part of what goes into ensuring
consistency, proper branching discipline being one of much more
important contributing factors.

KK