[p4] Installer enhancement request

Greg Whitfield g.whitfield at computer.org
Fri Nov 10 12:44:24 PST 2006

The performance hit I have seen with P4EXP was not anything to do with the
server. It is all client PC side - the mere presence of the plugin can cause
a PC's File Explorer to suck up a huge amount of resource. Sometimes it
would take several minutes just to open an explorer.

This does not occur on all PC's, but I never managed to isolate the
differences between machines where it was OK and those that were badly hit.
There could well be some interaction with other plugins or services, or
perhaps just down to how a user operates his PC. Certainly the one common
cure was to remove P4EXP.

We also had really bad problems if ever there was a glitch in the link to
the Perforce server. If that ever happened, then the chances were your PC
would become unusable.

Greg
~~~~