[p4] perforce-user Digest, Vol 23, Issue 9

Smith, Jeff jsmith at medplus.com
Mon Nov 13 06:48:33 PST 2006

I'd have to disagree.  I am also a proponent of clean integration
builds.  We don't even build in the same directory every time.  Our
build tools start by creating an empty directory and generating the
build there starting with a p4 sync.  This yields two critical benefits:

1. The old build area is still around for diagnosing issues that QA may
believe are build related.

2. There can be a temptation under pressure to change a build area to
fix a build without reflecting those changes in the repository.  If you
keep building in the same area, it's possible for these changes to get
overlooked.

When it comes to good SCM practices, disk-waste and speed are of
secondary consideration to reproducibility and traceability.

Jeff S.