[p4] Creating and managing empty folders...

Jeff Nemecek Jeff.Nemecek at aQuantive.com
Mon Nov 13 15:31:59 PST 2006

So, given a situation where you need to create a stable, consistent
folder structure for a project, how do you approach the issue of empty
folder creation in Perforce?  Subversion, CVS and unmentionable source
control systems have solutions for this.  I am not familiar with the
best way to resolve this using Perforce.

Do you use token files to populate each folder you need to create?  Do
you use external tools to drive folder creation of templated projects?
Do you create folders in the file system and not worry about loading
them into Perforce until files exist underneath them?

I'm interested in any and all approaches or alternatives that you may
have to this issue.

Thanks,

Jeff Nemecek
Lead Engineer, Corporate Software Development
aQuantive, Inc
Leading Businesses in Digital Marketing