[p4] developer branches

Weintraub, David david.weintraub at bofasecurities.com
Wed Nov 15 08:39:22 PST 2006

We use private developer branches on quite a few occasions. Mainly, so
the build doesn't break while long term changes are taking place. Using
private development branches is not the standard way Perforce is used,
but Perforce does a good job handling the situation if you follow Laura
Wingerd's "merge up/copy down" approach. There's a paper on this
technique at <http://snipurl.com/perforce>.

There is a minor issue in using this "merge up/copy down" method if you
use the P4V or p4win programs because there's one step that's not
directly built into those GUI's menu system. However, its pretty easy to
add this step to these programs, so that's not really a show stopper.

I haven't used the Eclipse plug-in for Perforce, but apparently it is
very good.