[p4] Perforce and Sharepoint

busterrey at speakeasy.net busterrey at speakeasy.net
Wed Nov 15 13:08:46 PST 2006

Hello,

Does anyone on this list have any experience with Sharepoint? Recently a group in my company has suggested using Sharepoint for managing our engineering documents as well as documents from marketing and customer service. I don’t know much about Sharepoint and was hoping someone might have an insight or two on how it compares to Perforce’s functionality.

Our engineering team uses Perforce for SCM and Team Track as our defect tracking tool. I’ve been asked to comment on whether that combination can do the same things that Sharepoint can do.  I’ve taking a quick look at the MS web site, and it looks like there is quite a bit that our current tools could do in terms of running a document control system, but I did want to hear if anyone had an experience with both tools.

Thanks,
Andrew