[p4] Perforce and Sharepoint

Jay Glanville Jay.Glanville at naturalconvergence.com
Thu Nov 16 06:10:04 PST 2006

There are some good points about using Sharepoint for documentation:
- you can configure it so that exclusive locking is on, preventing
editing collisions.
- the author doesn't need to install client software in order to submit
changes (like you would have to do in P4).
- there is a concept of versioning.

There are some things to be careful of:
- ensure you pay money for the searching capabilities.  Our current
version of Sharepoint is the cheap one, the one that doesn't allow you
to search.  This means that if you don't know where the document is
buried, you'll never find it!

All that being said, why bother with Sharepoint at all?  There are many
other alternatives out there.  For example:
- Eidetic Document Management System  (http://docsys.sourceforge.net/)
- OpenDocMan (http://www.opendocman.com/)
There's even one (who's name I can't remember) that will allow you to
search the contents of documents, not just the metadata of documents.
(I really wish I wrote that system's name down somewhere...)

---
Jay Dickon Glanville