[p4] p4 integ with "-i"...any harm?

Rick Macdonald rickmacd at shaw.ca
Thu Nov 16 09:23:44 PST 2006

It's one specific case of "Merge Down". I don't include -i in the normal
case of a programmer with a dev branch below the mainline or a
bugfix/patch branch below a release stabilization branch, but I do when
bugfix changes in a release stabilization branch are  merged into its
parent, the mainline.

If there has been no activity in the mainline since the release branch
changes were made, I use Laura's "Copy Up" recipe  to the mainline, but
it breaks Laura's chart in that this Copy Up is downwards on the chart.

If there are new changes in the mainline, I branch the mainline into a
merge branch. I draw this merge branch below the mainline on charts to
keep the Down/Up scenario sensible. Then I integrate the stabilization
branch down into the merge branch. This is the "Merge Down" step. After
resolving and testing, I run Laura's recipe for the Copy Up to the
mainline.

When I was writing the script about 10 months ago, I had to add the -i
flag to this particular Merge Down step, but unfortunately I didn't make
a note as to why. So, I left it in for this case of Merge Down. If you
are wary of this, are you saying it changes the behavior of the
integrate for the files that don't need it?

...RickM...