[p4] Perforce and Sharepoint

Robert Cowham robert at vaccaperna.co.uk
Fri Nov 17 02:43:45 PST 2006

For a possibly biased but interesting take:

http://newton.typepad.com/content/2006/10/what_the_heck_i.html

Some quotes:
<<<<<<<<<<<
You look on the Microsoft web site and it is a very confused picture. You
are not told what Sharepoint is; you are told what Sharepoint does....

Sharepoint is first and foremost an exercise by Microsoft to extend their
monopoly of Office...

At the end of the demo, you get a circular diagram that lists:
Collaboration, Portal, Search, Content Management, Business Process
Management and Business Intelligence, surrounding a platform core circle.
This is to illustrate the very confusing distinction of Microsoft Office
Sharepoint Server (MOSS 2007) from the operating system level of Windows
Sharepoint Services 3.0. Obviously a Microsoft turf war in the making....

Note the writer, John Newton, and links to

http://www.alfresco.com/ which looks very interesting.

>From about page: founded in 2005 by John Newton, co-founder of DocumentumR
and John Powell, former COO of Business ObjectsR. Its investors include the
leading investment firms Accel Partners and Mayfield Fund.

Robert