[p4] p4 integ with "-i"...any harm?

Robert Cowham robert at vaccaperna.co.uk
Fri Nov 17 03:42:12 PST 2006

> If there are new changes in the mainline, I branch the
> mainline into a merge branch. I draw this merge branch below
> the mainline on charts to keep the Down/Up scenario sensible.
> Then I integrate the stabilization branch down into the merge
> branch. This is the "Merge Down" step. After resolving and
> testing, I run Laura's recipe for the Copy Up to the mainline.
>
> When I was writing the script about 10 months ago, I had to
> add the -i flag to this particular Merge Down step, but
> unfortunately I didn't make a note as to why. So, I left it
> in for this case of Merge Down. If you are wary of this, are
> you saying it changes the behavior of the integrate for the
> files that don't need it?

Personally I would not turn on by default. I would look for the occasion
when it was demanded (by error message), and then investigate and seek to
understand what happened. One example, a new user might mistakenly add the
same file to 2 branches rather than adding and branching. I would like to
detect this and "educate" them and convince them of the error of their ways.

So I would turn off and keep an eye out for when it seems to be required.
You should find "hardly ever".

Robert