[p4] Trying to understand the benefits of "Warning! We stronglyrecommend that you set up your system so that the journal iswritten to a filesystem other than the P4ROOT filesystem."

Stanton Stevens sstevens at adobe.com
Fri Nov 17 13:42:54 PST 2006

Your analysis makes sense to me, I have never understood the importance
of having the journal on a separate volume. If the db files and file
archives are both gone, the journal file has only small usefulness
giving you a very cryptic presentation of what changed since the last
checkpoint. It is possible that you could lose just your db files
through a fat-fingering accident, but you'd probably still have your
local journal file.

This assumes that you always backup your archive files AFTER creating a
checkpoint, which is the way to do it. Since you have to fall back to
the last backup, you want only what is in that checkpoint, not what is
also in a journal file from after the checkpoint.

Stanton