[p4] Trying to understand the benefits of "Warning! We stronglyrecommend that you set up your system so that the journal iswritten to a filesystem other than the P4ROOT filesystem."

Sweeney, Tony sweeney at ea.com
Mon Nov 20 02:38:48 PST 2006

Having access to the journal after a db failure allows for intra-day
recovery in the three disk case (disk 1: db files; disk 2: depot files;
disk 3: checkpoints and journal).  You can recover from last night's
checkpoint, AND replay the day's journal to get complete point-in-time
recovery in the event of loss of the db files, rather than just recover
to last night's checkpoint.

Tony.

quis custodiet ipsos custodes -- Juvenal VI, 347-8