[p4] p4 client -i

Dave Lewis dlewis78731 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 22:18:23 PST 2006

well, when you use -i you don't need to specify the clientname because
that's already in the client.info

you can also create new clients using -t

p4 -c newclientname client -o -t templateclient | p4 client -i

which will set the root to whereever you execute the command from.
probably you could use -d to set the dir and thus the client root

creating a branch requires that you create a client (or use an
existing one) that encompases the area in the depot where you
want the branch to be.

the perforce truths:

- nothing gets into the depot except by being submited from a client
- you cannot create depot files unless your client maps to that place
in the depot
- nothing happens until you submit.

there are obscure exceptions, but these are good practical guidelines.

dave