[p4] developer branches

Weintraub, David david.weintraub at bofasecurities.com
Tue Nov 21 11:47:22 PST 2006

Haven't really worked with the plug in, so I really can't say. The
P4/VisualStudio integration can't handle it, but it can't even do
branching or merging.

The problem has to do with reverting unchanged files. Normally, a "p4
revert -a" would work (and both P4V and p4win have similar commands.
However, "p4 revert -a" won't revert an unchanged file that is involved
with an integration.

To get around the problem, you go to the "Tools" menu and add a command
to the "Tools" directory. In P4V, you set it up like this:

Application: C:\Program Files\Perforce\p4.exe

Arguments: diff -sr | p4 -x revert

Run tool in terminal window: (checked)
Refresh P4V upon completion: (checked)

I have a Word document in the Perforce public archive
<http://snipurl.com/p4merge> that I wrote for users describing branching
and merging in Perforce. It's a long document (current version is 28
pages), but it is about 80% screen shots. The last 9 pages (6.2 Using
P4V for Integrating Convergent Branches) covers setting up P4V for the
process and how to  copy a convergent child branch back to the parent
branch in eight steps. Don't let the 9 pages fool you. It's about 1/2
page of text and 8 1/2 pages of step-by-step screen shots).