[p4] Two instances of p4p on the same machine. <Thank You>

Raghu Kumar C RaghuKumar.c at tavant.com
Thu Nov 23 01:30:26 PST 2006

Thanks a lot Greg, Tony and Stephen.
You all were of great help. :)

-raghu

-----Original Message-----
From: perforce-user-bounces at perforce.com
[mailto:perforce-user-bounces at perforce.com] On Behalf Of Greg Whitfield
Sent: Thursday, November 23, 2006 12:54 AM
To: 'Sweeney, Tony'; Raghu Kumar C; perforce-user at perforce.com
Subject: Re: [p4] Two instances of p4p on the same machine.

Hi Tony - I'm still here!

Here's what to do to install multiple P4 Proxies on a Windows box culled
from the admin guide I wrote while at EA. Apologies for the formatting -
the
original doc was in Word.

-----------------------------
Setting up a new proxy on an existing proxy server
The following steps describe how to set up multiple proxy services on
one
server, which saves having to have a dedicated machine per proxy.
1.	Create a folder on the server machine that will be the proxy
cache.
2.	From an existing proxy folder cache, copy the following files:
	a.	Svcinst.exe
	b.	Svcinst.dll
	c.	P4p.exe
	d.	P4ps.exe
	e.	P4.exe
3.	Run a command prompt in the cache folder.
4.	Run "svcinst create -n <Name for Proxy> -e <path to p4ps.exe> -a
5.	Run regedit, and locate
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\<Name for Proxy>
6.	Create a new key "Parameters".
7.	Set the following string values in the new key:
	a.	P4LOG=log
	b.	P4PCACHE=<folder name for new cache folder created in
(1)>
	c.	P4PORT=<port that Proxy will show itself on>
	d.	P4TARGET=<Perforce server that this is a proxy of>
8.	Run Services, and start the new service (or use "Net Start <Name
for
Proxy>")

A suggested naming convention for the service is:
	"P4 Proxy <label of destination"
For example, "P4 Proxy Teal" is the proxy of the Vancouver based Teal
server.
I also recommend that the service description should be set to contain
both
the proxy port and a description of the destination - it makes tracking
down
which proxies are doing what much easier.

There may well be an easier way to do this now - I have not checked
recent
releases of the P4Proxy installer. I would have thought it would be easy
for
Perforce to add this kind of capability to the installer - ditto for the
the
main server come to think of it.

Greg
~~~~