[p4] Changing owenr for multiple client specs

David Weintraub qazwart at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 07:04:39 PST 2006

> cat testmesed | sed 's/Owner:  mshaaf/Owner:  mkhan/'

What are you getting? We need to know exactly what you're expecting,
and what you were getting.

First of all, you could simply do this:

    $ sed 's/Owner:  mshaaf/Owner:  mkhan/' testmesed

And, save yourself some typing.

Next, between "Owner:" and "mshaaf", is that a tab or a single space?
If it is a space, it won't work because Perforce puts a tab in there.

Now, I think what you really want to do is something like this:

    $ p4 client -o <client> | sed 's/^Owner:.*$/Owner: mkhan/' | p4 client -i

or for your test:

    $ p4 client -o <client> | sed 's/^Owner:.*$/Owner: mkhan/' | tee client.out

Then you can examine the "client.out" file to see if it is what you want.

The "^Owner:.*$" says to match a line that begins with "Owner:". The
".*$" matches the rest of the line. The "s" command in sed is a
substitution command, so you're replacing the selected line with
"Owner: mkhan".