[p4] p4 uri

Roger Day roger.day at globalgraphics.com
Sat Aug 4 05:57:43 PDT 2007

I currently maintain 2 SCM systems - an internal one and P4. To allow my
scripts to process references to files in both SCM systems with standard
URL classes (in python) I'm thinking of using a URL-like string to
identify files in either system .i.e

hope://<hostname>/<filepath>

p4://<hostname>/<filepath>

with depot dropping out as the default. Which kinda seems wrong to me. It
seems to me that the full path should be invoked. But  a full WWW-like URI
would look like:

///depot/

with hostname and protocol left out for defaults. Any background on why
the two notations differ?

What do others do? Is there a recognised or defacto way of addressing p4
resources similarly?

TIA
Roger