[p4] Locking Directory

steve at vance.com steve at vance.com
Tue Aug 7 15:55:21 PDT 2007

Hi, Ron --

There only one good way to do it that I can think of off hand.

The first is with the protections table. The model is that you take away
everything with a '-' mapping then give back what you want to grant ('read'
or 'open' in this case, depending on whether you want to allow checkouts
for experimentation) when the directory is a sub-directory of something
with broader permissions. The following abbreviated example should
communicate the point:

read group everyone //depot/...
write group everyone -//depot/readonly/...
read group everyone //depot/readonly/...

There really isn't a trigger type for checkouts, although you could use one
of the change triggers if you don't mind people having it open for edit.

You could use 'p4 lock' to prevent submission, but that would only cover
things that already exist. You could modify the typemap to add +l to the
file type for things in that tree, but then you'd have to check them out to
prevent others from checking them in, and it wouldn't prevent the addition
of new files, potentially with user-overridden file types.

Steve