[p4] Removing old files generated by Nightly Builds

steve at vance.com steve at vance.com
Tue Aug 7 16:01:40 PDT 2007

Hugo --

William Ivey covered the mechanisms you can use. Basically, it's a tradeoff
between storage size and developer convenience. If a build takes very
little time (relative to your developers' expectations, I should add), then
there is no reason to store build output at all for those purposes. If your
build is time-consuming, storing build output can save developers time, but
there is a diminishing return the further you get from the head. Just
remember that not everyone is necessarily working on the absolute latest
and greatest source for a variety of potential reasons.

Another major reason to store build output is for build and release
repeatability. Compilers, libraries, other build tools and operating
systems change. You may not be able to repeat a build if much time has
passed. Selectively archiving build results protects you from this.
Especially with increasing requirements for corporate IT governance and, in
particular, auditing, there may be a business motivation for this, as well.

Steve