[p4] Integrate and Edit - what is good practice and why?

Shawn Hladky p4shawn at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 13:00:19 PDT 2007

Check out this white-paper, under the section called "dirty branch".  It
explains the distinction in gory detail.  Basically, the difference is when
you merge back, Perforce will pick a different file for the base.
http://perforce.com/perforce/conferences/us/2005/presentations/AntonPaper.pdf

>From a tracking standpoint, it's sometimes handy to know that #1 of a
branched file is identical to the parent at the point of branch.  This is
the reason I like to submit the branch and then re-open.  The only exception
is for re-names... where often the code has to change at the same time as
the re-name to keep the build from breaking.