[p4] Label Get Revision dialog

Shawn Hladky p4shawn at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 13:32:31 PDT 2007

Either of these can be scripted with just a few lines of code using any of
the API's.
Create a tempClient
Set client root to destination folder
Set the view to: //depot/path/to/folder/... //tempClient/...
p4 sync //tempClient/...[@label]
p4 client -d tempClient

However, when I have new users ask me about this, I challenge them and ask
them what they're trying to accomplish.  New users tend to fight with
Perforce, but if you give up a few habits, and try things the "Perforce Way"
you'll definitely be a happier Perforce user.

Task: I don't like where it put it on my disk (too far down the tree).
P4 way: Change your client view.

Task: I want to make changes I never intend to submit
P4 way: Check out files into a pending change, with a description "DO NOT
SUBMIT", then follow your own advice.

Task:  I have work in process, but I need a copy before I started
P4 Way: Create a second client workspace.  You can even use this trick to
help you merge independent fixes later.