[p4] line endings

Ivey, William william_ivey at bmc.com
Tue Aug 14 08:29:57 PDT 2007

The last time I looked at the delta files, changing the
line endings of a file created a line-by-line delta for
it.

This was using "unix" on the client which effectively
does no translation between server and client, even on
Windows. (If the file is stored as unix on the server,
that's what you get, but if it stored as Windows, you
get it that way.)

I prefer the unix setting because we have to manage
files in specific formats for both Windows and Unix,
and other settings will mask the actual file content
on at least one system. That has caused a lot of
headaches. (And it makes it very difficult to generate
Unix files on Windows, or the other way around.)

It's not been a problem with Visual Studio since it
doesn't really care about most files, and those it
does care about are generated on a Windows system
to start with and rarely manipulated on any other
kind of system.

-Wm