[p4] Windows file name length issues

Albrecht, Matt matt.albrecht at zilliant.com
Fri Aug 17 08:26:08 PDT 2007

Recently, the Windows users at my office have started experiencing the
Windows file name length limit, where, due to the length of their client
root directory, the Perforce client cannot sync the file to the local
client due to the total local file name length being more than 255
characters (or right around there). They are all running on Windows XP.

The current answer I have is to either change the file names so that
they're more compatible with everyone's system (not a good answer), or
to shorten the client root (seems like a short term fix).

Does anyone know of a better, long term solution, or if Perforce on
Vista has the same problem?  Thanks.