[p4] Windows file name length issues

Ivey, William william_ivey at bmc.com
Fri Aug 17 09:16:40 PDT 2007

We've run into this. I just tell users, put the repository
close to the root.

If that's not feasible, you might try using SUBST to assign
a logical drive letter to the root path and use that in the
client.

Even if there wasn't a limit, there's always something to
be said for keeping the length of file/directory names
sensible and applying the fine arts of creating readable
contractions, removing redundancy, etc. After all, someday,
someone may have to actually type that path...

-Wm