[p4] Windows file name length issues

Ivey, William william_ivey at bmc.com
Fri Aug 17 14:51:06 PDT 2007

It may not be a limit of the low-level OS routines, but it
affects most, if not all, Windows software due to the
MAX_PATH value. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q177665/

We went through a series of corrupted copy problems with
our test images. Turned out those who accessed them via
a mapped drive were just fine, but those who put \\machine
at the beginning of the path went over. (I think the long
path was 251 characters - it was a deeply buried Java
file.)

I'm sure 255 characters sounded like a lot back in the
days of 8.3 filenames.

-Wm