[p4] Windows file name length issues

David Weintraub qazwart at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 15:15:24 PDT 2007

On 8/17/07, Robert Cowham <robert at vaccaperna.co.uk> wrote:
> I don't think it is a Windows OS limitation, but instead an Office
> limitation - i.e. versions of Word/Excel can't cope.

I've even argued with Microsoft people on this point. NTFS can handle
file names of upto 32K long with each component of the path having up
to 255 characters in length. And, Windows *ALMOST* supports this.

The problem is that the Windows routine that actually fetches the file
from the computer is limited to 255 characters (253 if you include the
directory specifier). This was true up to Windows XP. I don't know if
the problem exists in Windows Vista or not (and because of the
limitation in earlier versions of Windows, that might be why MS Office
is also limited).

The only way around this is to shorten the path you use. Put your
Perforce clients directly on the root of the drive, and not in your My
Documents folder or your desktop. These actually sit pretty deeply in
the drive under "C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>". This alone
will save you somewhere between 30 to 40 characters in the file path.

The other way is shortening your path in the client. Most Windows
users map the Depot root to the root of their client, but this eats up
a lot of file name length. By simply mapping only the part you need on
your disk can save another 20 to 30 characters. You can also shorten
long directory names in your depot when you map them to your client.

Otherwise, this is really a limit with the OS, and there is no easy
way around it.