[p4] Tracking renames across branches

Chuck Karish chuck.karish at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 20:03:52 PDT 2007

On 8/18/07, Marc Chung <mchung at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have identical branches, //depot/foo and //depot/mchung/foo-mvn.
> Files in foo-mvn have been moved around.  During an integration, if a
> file in the foo branch has been modified, how do I instruct Perforce
> to observe the move and correctly integrate with the file in foo-mvn?

Make a branch spec that reflects the refactoring.

        //depot/foo/heroes/javasrc/com/heroes/... \
            //depot/mchung/foo-mvn/heroes/src/main/java/com/heroes/...

Integrate to the branch through this branch spec.  If you have individual
files that have moved within the heroes directory, you can map
<original location on main> to <new location on branch>.

When you're done with your refactoring, integrate back to main and go
back to using a branch that does a direct mapping.

--
Chuck Karish   karish at well.com   (415) 317-0182